Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots, a program of the Jane Goodall Institute, is seeking a creative, goal-oriented and self-motivated individual to act as a Teaching Assistant during an Online Course this summer. The Turning Learners Into Leaders: Empowering Youth Through Service in Education course in an innovative professional development course that will teach participants how to identify and implement a local service-learning campaign using the new Roots & Shoots program model. Founded by Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE and a group of Tanzanian students, the Roots & Shoots program provides young people with the knowledge, tools and hopeful inspiration to improve the environment and the quality of life for people and animals.
The Teaching Assistant will have the opportunity to interact directly with course participants and instructors, be able to contribute to future course development, and gain experience working in a virtual classroom setting. The ideal candidate will have experience in service learning, an interest in working with service learning programs, and experience working in education. The position is unpaid, but academic credit can be arranged.
Specific responsibilities could include:
- Moderating conversations and questions using a Google Group format
- Prioritizing participant feedback
- Adding weekly discussion questions to a Google Group
- Facilitating a Google+ Hangout
- Communicating with the online course team, and other teams at the Jane Goodall Institute as needed
- Contributing to a Teaching Assistant Guide for future courses
Ideal candidates for the Teaching Assistant position with JGI will:
- Have an interest in Service Learning and it’s role in education
- Have some experience working with educators in a formal or informal setting
- Be interested in a career in education or service learning
- Be comfortable communicating over email and in online discussion forums
- Enjoy participating in online discussion forums and be willing to act in the role of facilitator and moderator
- Be self-motivated and independent
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Stephanie Keller at email@example.com
with the subject line: Online Course Teaching Assistant.
Location: Work can be based out of the JGI-USA headquarters in Vienna, VA, or through telecommuting from anywhere within the continental United States. If telecommuting the applicant must have reliable access to high speed internet.
Hours & Schedule: The start date for the position is on or around June 15, 2014 and the end date is on or around August 15, 2014. There is some flexibility with these dates and the opportunity to begin earlier or end later can be discussed. The candidate must be available M-F 9:00 am - 5 pm ET from July 7 - August 3 as this is when the live course will be taking place.
Other notes/Application Details: Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Only qualified applicants will be contacted, no calls please.