Job Opportunity: Program Officer, DRC
Position Title: Program Officer
Reports To: Executive Director, DRC
Location: Goma, DRC
Mission: The Jane Goodall Institute’s mission is to inspire and empower people to take informed, compassionate action to make the world a better place for people, animals and the environment.
The Program Officer is a full time position located in the JGI office in Goma, DRC. The office is located in Goma center and consists of 15 employees . The DRC team consists of a program team who spend 50% of their time working away from the office in field sites or representing the program nationally and internationally, and a finance and administrative team who support program activities. The Project Officer will join the team in the DRC, and focus on coordinating the implementation of the Great Apes Conservation Action Plan for eastern DRC, as well as supporting the management of ongoing grants. The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for managing all reporting requirements under at least three grants. The candidate will also play an important role in tracking results under these projects and uploading them into JGI's monitoring and evaluation data base. Field visits to South Kivu and Maniema provinces are anticipated in order to monitor project progress, verify project data and meet with the partners.
- Conservation, sustainable natural resource management background essential;
- Experience working in the DRC.
- Grant/Proposal writing skills;
- Good written and verbal communication skills in both French and English required;
- Capacity to use the conservation and development monitoring and management tools ; and to define measures of projects/Conservation Action Plan progress and success;
- Experience working with a variety of donors (private and government) and ensuring donor financial and programmatic requirements are met;
- Experience communicating and managing technical obligations with grantees;
- Support program coordinator to ensure the timely implementation of field programs through field monitoring, reviewing reports, doing monitoring and evaluation of the projects.
- Ensure timely project reporting for internal and external audiences for designated grants especially communicating and monitoring technical obligations under the grant
- Project reporting to a diverse set of donors – government and foundations
- Represent JGI with ICCN, Ministries and other government institutions,
- Support and facilitate coordination of all major grants (specifically, Arcus/Allen and CAFEC), within JGI and with partners
- Field visits to monitor JGI activities and that of partners, and ensure implementation is effective and efficient , meeting expected targets on both project results and financial spending
- Liaise with Population, Health, and Environment (PHE) network in DRC on behalf of JGI, as requested by supervisor
- Identify funding opportunities and write grants/proposals
- Ability to work in, and support a productive team environment
- Self discipline, open minded and flexible
- Solid organizational skills and time management and ability to multi-task
- Good professional inter-personal skills with the ability to develop and maintain strong relationships
- Ability to maintain professionalism within and outside the work environment